Creative Districts helps Washington communities thrive. This award-winning program works to grow the creative sector. It helps communities turn cultural activities into economic growth.
In March 2019, ArtsWA received the Innovation in Economic Development Award from WEDA. The award is for programs that significantly improve a community’s ability to attract and keep investment.
What is a Certified Creative District?
A Creative District is a fun place to live, work, and visit. It’s geographically defined area of cultural and economic activity. It’s the heart of a community. It is a place for people to gather and enjoy their community’s arts and culture.
A district is a place where innovation and creativity can thrive. A place that helps the community move enthusiastically into the future.
How will certification benefit your community?
State certification endorses creative activities in your community. It recognizes the potential for growth. Certification can help you:
- Promote your community’s creative identity
- Grow jobs in the creative sector
- Increase tourism and bring new visitors
- Attract artists, start-ups, and creative businesses
- Create opportunities for affordable housing. This may include live/work and maker spaces for artists.
- Boost livability
- Redevelop historic assets in your community
How does ArtsWA support your community?
We provide guidance to communities during and after certification. We are able to provide:
- Specialized resources
- Grant opportunities
- Technical assistance, training, and networking
- Tracked progress of your community’s creative economy
Yelm's Creative District Taskforce is surveying the community to find out the wants and needs surrounding creative space and activity in Yelm. Yelm's Creative District Taskforce is asking for public input by way of this survey. We encourage you to take this survey to help the taskforce plan the Creative District in Yelm.